Sunday 11 May 2008

If you can't stand the heat get outta the kitchen.

Feeling somewhat overwhelmed lately and I don't know if it's it's the bad cold, heavy period or (by Northern England's standards) the excessive heat of the last few days. When the temperature gauge hits 25 for the first time this year it seems churlish to complain and find oneself longing for rain. However I find myself wondering how those in hot climes get any work done at all as I have dropped off it my chair twice in the last two days.
The mistake I made was sitting in it in the first place: it's a rarity these days as the nearest get to a comfy chair is the ikea computer chair. This is not so comfy these days as three of its six wheels have fallen off so it requires vigilent balancing to stay upright.
If only I had a husband who could fix things, I would be O.k. However, I have never been under any illusions about the practical skills of trusty Pete. In the old days I would have gone to Ikea to buy another one, but now I have no time to go shopping and the house is gradually crumbling and falling apart beneath us: ripped plastic table cloth, hole in the the back gate where rotten planks have fallen through, lots of peeling paintwork, every mug is chipped, we have only five dinner knives, no matching crockery, I have lost the lemon squeezer, need I go on.
In fact I feel incredibly grateful that I still possess the essentials: musical instruments, pen and paper, house, husband and two children. Several less significant things have gone awol in the last few weeks:
1 sheepskin coat
1 suede jacket
1 early learning centre baby (recovered)
1 monkey (stuffed)
several baby cups
numerous lone socks
lemon squeezer (as above)
This later was misplaced along with several 'to be fully idenified' items which all went awol after the collapse of the kitchen drawer. We are only gradually discovering what they are as we can't find them. Looking on the bright side we may never discover we have lost some of them now as now that the evening meal is restricted to stuff like bacon sandwiches and beans on toast we have little use for most utensils.
:

No comments: